A Message from Impact Discipleship Ministries on COVID-19
You probably haven’t received ANY emails regarding the Coronavirus (it helps to laugh), so I thought I would send you one. In all seriousness, the Coronavirus is no laughing matter and causes us to think about things differently. Here are a few things regarding the virus that I wish were true about disciple making.
1. I wish there was as much urgency for disciple making as there is for the Coronavirus. There is no question that COVID-19 needs our attention, but so does the condition of our souls. I wish there were as many breaking news reports and emails concerning the Great Commission as there have been on the Coronavirus. You may not get this virus, but someday you will die. You need to know Christ when that day comes.
2. I wish disciple making was spreading as fast as this virus. I’m sure I’m not the first to think of this, but wouldn’t it be cool if disciple making was pandemic. Obviously we can’t control the spread of an infectious disease, but wouldn’t be cool if disciple making was just as infectious?
3. I wish there was just as much of a level of importance placed on disciple making as there is on the Coronavirus. When Major League sports, NCAA Championships, Broadway, and the Masters are being canceled or suspended, it is pretty significant. In the grand scheme of things, making disciples of all nations has eternal significance. In no way am I making light of this virus, but I truly believe the mission of Jesus Christ is the most important thing in life.
This blog is from our partner Impact Discipleship Ministries. Sign up here to get updates sent to your inbox about ministries like theirs so you can grow as a disciple maker.
4. I wish there was as much unity regarding disciple making as there is fighting the Coronavirus. In most cases, people are working together to fight this infectious disease. The virus is no respecter of people, and that means everyone is willing to work together to see it stopped. What if there was the same level of unity for the Great Commission? We could change the world if the Church would simply unite behind the cause that should be driving it.
5. I wish the Church worked as hard at fulfilling the Great Commission as the world is working to stop the spread of virus. If the Church was giving as much money to succeed at making disciples as government is spending to stop the spread of this virus, imagine what might happen? I’m afraid we are not nearly as concerned about the eternal condition of all nations as we are the physical condition of all nations.
I know I probably shouldn’t be using something as serious as this virus to make my points, but making disciples really is a serious calling. We do need to be doing everything we can to stop the spread of this disease. No question on that one. But we also need to be doing all we can to make disciples of all nations. No question about that one either.
By Ken Adams
Impact Discipleship Ministries exists to help you be and build disciples. For resources or training for disciple making, check out their website or contact them through impactdisciples.com.
Don't Miss a Post
Subscribe to get our latest content by email.
This article was originally posted here. Used by permission.