The following is an excerpt from The Kingdom Unleashed Sampler. Download this free eBook here.
Christianity is spreading faster now than it has at any time in human history.
If that statement surprises you, it means that you probably live in the Global North, where Christianity is—at best—holding its own. But Christianity is exploding in the Global South.
- There were 9 million Christians in Africa in 1900; by 2000, there were 335 million (37 times as many) with most of the growth occurring since the 1960s.
- In Latin America in 1900, there were 50,000 Protestants; today, there are more than 64 million (1,280 times as many), again with most of the growth occurring since the 1960s. A significant majority of these Protestants identify themselves as Charismatic or Pentecostal Evangelicals.
- The number of Christians in Asia grew from 101 million to 351 million between 1970 and 2010.
- In China, it has been estimated that 10,000 people per day become Christ Followers, and even by conservative estimates, Christianity has grown 4,300 percent in fifty years. By 2030, China will have more Christians living in it than any other nation on earth.
- There are 3.7 times as many Protestants in Africa as in North America—and the gap grows dramatically every year. This has happened just in recent decades.
- In 1980, 65 percent of the world’s missionaries were sent out from the Global North; by 2020, that situation will be reversed, as 63 percent will be coming from the Global South.
This is an excerpt from The Kingdom Unleashed Sampler. Download this free eBook here.
Beyond just the numerical growth, we are now seeing widespread Kingdom Movements led by indigenous Christians that are multiplying rapidly in regions throughout the Global South.
In the Islamic world, there were no movements among Muslims until the nineteenth century. Today, every region of the Muslim world is experiencing replicating movements, even in some of the most extreme areas. The number of movements is summarized in the free eBook, which you can download here
Order the Full-Length Book Here.
JERRY TROUSDALE and his wife Gayle were missionaries among a Muslim people group in Africa. He pastored two mission sending churches, co-founded Final Command Ministries, and since 2005, has been Director of International Ministries for New Generations. He is also the author of best-selling book Miraculous Movements.
GLENN SUNSHINE is a professor of history at Central Connecticut State University, a senior fellow at the Colson Center for Christian Worldview, and the founder and president of Every Square Inch Ministries. He is an award-winning author, and has taught seminars on worldview, church history, and theology across the U.S. and in Europe and Asia.
GREGORY C. BENOIT brought his rich background in journalism, theology, and Christian publishing to this project.
Please join us for the 2024 National Disciple Making Forum!
Join 1,300 disciple-making leaders and practitioners to learn, share insights, and connect in person.
For two days on May 1-2, Discipleship.org will host disciple making tracks, consisting of hyper-focused teaching, panels and live Q&A sessions that will fuel your disciple-making efforts in 2024 and beyond!
The 2024 Forum will be held at Mt. Pleasant Christian Church. The address is 381 N Bluff Rd Greenwood, IN 46142.